Thursday, November 27, 2014

"One Time When Mom Was Drunk"

I hated writing that title and I hate the fact that those words came out of my daughter's mouth just the other day.  She was talking about something I had said while drinking and it was true and it was something I would have said whether or not I had been drinking.  But even though I did say it and do believe it, it doesn't change the fact that she was aware of the drinking and thinks it changes what I say and how I act.

Yesterday was a trigger filled day for me.  No school, no evening activities, slight boredom.  A perfect day to open a bottle of wine (early) and drink all afternoon (I didn't).  Then my husband came home from work and poured himself a glass of wine and wanted to play a board game.  Board games are a huge trigger for me.  I feel like such a shitty person when I say this but for whatever reason I always felt like I needed wine to sit down and play a game with my family.  I remember the first time we taught the kids how to play Monopoly.  There were three empty wine bottles on the counter by the time the game was over.

Even though the thought made me grumpy, last night I poured myself a sparkling water/cranberry drink with lime and played cards with my family.  It can be done!  Then I watched with fascination as my husband finished his (ONE!) glass of wine and put the glass in the sink.  I was thinking that one would have never been enough for me.  It's always so crazy to me when someone really does just drink one glass of wine.

Today is Thanksgiving.  I'm starting with my favorite exercise class at the gym and I'm cooking a turkey for the first time in my life!  There might be more board games in my future this afternoon and I'm ready!

2 comments:

  1. Kids pick up on everything don't they! At least you are moving in the right direction now. I know what you mean about people having one glass. To me that is torture. I'd rather have none than one.

    Happy thanksgiving! (Is that what you say?) I don't actually know what thanksgiving is. We don't do it here. I think its like Christmas??? I hope the turkey turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we say "Happy Thanksgiving". To me it's just a silly holiday where people eat and drink way too much. Yes, basically like Christmas with no presents. The turkey was good and it was a nice relaxing day. I read all afternoon.

      Delete